Love affair.
11 June 2008 @ 01:40 ; 0 CommentsLabels... or love?
I am back from my Tuesday night movie date. Well it's not a date date; I'm just doing my bid as a wonderful friend by accompanying Mr Sim Lim to watch Sex And The City. It's the second time for me but I didn't mind since the movie was great and such a joy to watch. Watching it again made me reflect a little harder on life- more specifically, my life. There are times when it truly stinks to be in this world. In this cold, harsh reality where anything can happen at any unforgiving moment. So it's up to movies and books and such to take us away from all that and transport us to another realm. A different realm. A realm wherein we imagine ourselves in the stories and lives of fiction. And envision it happening in our real world.
The movie made me want to be Carrie Bradshaw. (That was primarily what made me want to start blogging again.) It made me want to write a lot of stories, convey a lot of emotions through words and in the end, sum it all up nice and neat and be all sagely yet, at the same time, hip enough to appeal to the intended demographic. It made my brain whirl with all kinds of stories that are applicable to our young society today, and I'm giving them first-hand exclusives on such things while, at the same time, making sure to input my own style. It didn't help when Mr Sim Lim compared me to Carrie and said we are so similar in terms of style. I didn't know what to say to that, really. (Yes, I am flattered. You don't need me to say it, right? Now you made me say it.) Style is subjective. But to be compared to someone as Carrie I was deeply honored, seeing as her style is rather eclectic. Mr Sim Lim noted some sartorial choices of moi which I think is quite normal but perhaps, to someone looking in, it does seem rather bold. Hmmm. Opinions.
Like Carrie, I have a bunch of friends who I deem to be much like the girls of the show/movie. These people can be classified as Mirandas and Charlottes and Samanthas. Well, maybe not so much the last one since they are all not nymphos. We just have too much explicit conversations. My friends are very much like them- they are my backbone. My mirrors and my pillars. I don't know what I would do if they weren't around to guide me and teach me and save me and just be there for me. But that's just me. I put them up on a pedestal probably because I've learned quite a bit when it comes to friendship and it's hard to trust anyone these days. And once you're my friend, I can be fiercely loyal. Like a dog. But call me the female equivalent. HAHA!
However, despite the fact that it was only a movie, it did serve up one of the most - if not - the universal topic that has been surrounding us ever since the world came into place... love. There is nothing fictional or simple about it. Not even the movie can make it all nice and lovely with flowers and pink bows. Love is the one thing where in reality or in fiction, there's never truly a happy ending. Well... not unless there is one written for you. But I know so far I'm having my cake and eating it.
Alright so enough rambling about events affected by the movie- what about the movie itself? I've watched it twice already, so I should think I am well prepared enough to actually post a review here. Which I will. Ahem. Trying to go all movie critic and all. I hope it won't suck haha!
Okay here goes-
Everyone who's hip - or has unlimited access to HBO - would know of the show Sex And The City. They would have religiously caught it every single week, know the characters by heart, grew up with them and probably want their clothes too. I only caught up with the series last month so their backstories were still fresh in my mind but for those who had watched it till its premature death and moved on, the movie begs the question- is it a case of being too little, too late? My answer would be a reassuring no. Sure it's already four years since the series finale but the movie managed to be grounded enough to ensure that it's true to the "real" time of our world and thus, explain what happened four years after the events of the finale. For casual fans it may be a bit too much to take in since they were only briefed in the beginning before the movie truly takes off but trust me, once it starts, you'll be shedding off fears of not knowing anything about the series and grow to enjoy and love the characters. The biggest qualm I have about the movie was that it felt like Charlotte and Miranda got relegated into the sidelines in favor of the other two. Sure, it is still predominantly about Carrie and her trials and tribulations with love but it does feel like Samantha is getting a bigger chunk too as compared. This is possibly why Kim Cattrall shone here- with the spotlight trained on her a little brighter in this movie, she was able to perform really well. There are some things that the movie cannot compare with the series, but it's just minute stuff. It's like cramming four, maybe five episodes at one go. Sure, the narrative may falter at times. With the series I was able to keep up with the characters while still being able to hear Carrie in my head. With the movie, not so much. However overall the movie was an enjoyable experience. Now I feel like going out and getting some fabulous clothes. And Manolos.
Phew. There it is. My first critique. I'm in no position to do such stuff but we all want our opinions heard, right? Seems amateurish as compared to the professionals but hey! It's cool. Haha.
And such is the real world. We are constantly comparing ourselves to others. Harsh. How I wish that reel world could take over the real world. If only...
Sweet dreams everyone.



