Photobucket
s p ry n!
pop culture whore
cunning linguist
showstopper
bohemian boy
narcissism

_____one
_____two
_____three
_____four
_____five
_____six
_____seven
_____eight
_____nine
_____ten
_____eleven
_____twelve
_____thirteen
_____fourteen
_____fifteen

Overall layout coded by yours truly! Woots! Viewable on all browsers.

© 2008-2009 superyan.

I don't need anyone.
23 June 2008 @ 22:55 ; 0 Comments

Titanic.

There is a saying that goes- the only unsinkable ship is friendship. But is that really the case? Do the people of today adhere to such courageous proclamations of love and adoration for their friends? Friends- people who are not related by blood, by bound together by their mutual respect and admiration for one another.

I was out with Queen Latifah - we went to watch Get Smart, which was great (I love Anne Hathaway's clothes) - and she confided in me about what happened between her and a mutual friend (let's call him Z). Basically the two of them were supposed to attend a fellow friend's wedding last Saturday. They had made plans and such, but when Saturday arrived, suddenly Z dropped off the face of the earth. Phone calls not answered, messages not replied. Naturally The Queen got rather pissed off. And today was the start of the school year for both her and Z, who indirectly informed her that he is still alive by wishing her luck. Of course she replied, but rather curtly I might add.

Why do we hurt the ones we care for the most? Discounting family, friends are the second biggest influence in our lives. When you can't rely on your family to understand you they will always be there to help. Alright, so they may not live under the same roof for you to easily confide in them but they are always a phone call/a text message/an email away. They are your pillars of strength. How do we survive in this world without friends? So, going back to my question- why are we always trying out ways and means to test the bonds of friendship? Are we so free? Do we think that it's all fun and games in doing all that?

I used to believe that friendship means forever. Much like what the Spice Girls taught the world in 1996. Back then I used to believe that best friends would never hurt each other. Best friends would stick together till the end. Man, how wrong was I. The notion of best friends back then was something that I upheld with utmost awe and respect. Anyone whom I deemed fit to be were my best friends. We would always proclaim and promise one another to be the best of friends till the very end. But were all those spoken words just empty promises? Were they really just ways to soothe our hearts and savor the friendship at that moment? Did we really foresee the outcome that we won't be hanging out after the ship has run its course? It's too bad that time and again I was let down by these so-called "best friends". Only after secondary school that I've decided- enough, is enough. I should never really trust anyone until I learn to trust myself enough to be able to trust anyone, you know?

I'm not saying that I'm a saint when it comes to friendship. Yes, I have also done the unthinkable and hurt the one person who was always by my side all these years. And it wasn't just one time. I should be ashamed of my actions. And I am, of course. We've been friends for so long now that thinking back, I realised what I did was pure foolishness on my part. We've been tight as a lid on a pickle jar ever since. Of course, but what is friendship without its fair share of disagreements, right? No relationship is ever truly smooth sailing. But I am most proud of this friendship. Because of the sole fact that I believe that we are soulmates. Born in this world to find each other, know each other, and remain in each other's heart for the rest of our lifetimes. This is one person who I would proudly declare is my best friend.

So is it true then? "The only unsinkable ship is friendship"- is that phrase something that everyone should give a thought as they think and remember and look at their friends? Is that phrase really worth its weight? But really, the real question that begs of us would be- do we really need something like the aforementioned to remind us that friends are as vital to us as our limbs and organs? Hmmm. Something to ponder.