Red blooded woman.
01 August 2008 @ 02:43 ; 0 CommentsWhen the red light comes on I transform.
When I first got my hands on Danity Kane's latest album Welcome To The Dollhouse (it's not a bad sophomore effort, I'll give them that; I don't really follow the Making The Band series- I have denounced reality shows), "Bad Girl" was one of the few songs that I religiously listened to. The lyrics, the production, the overall output of the song. It was just so BAD ASS! The song hence served as a lyrical basis for the blog's layout (if you haven't notice); put that together with those photos of Britney- man, they sure complement each other. (Speaking of which, there's nothing wrong with the layout. Sometimes the people of imageshack are holding the header image hostage for no apparent reason. It's irking me, of course.)
It would be utterly foolish of them (and Diddy) to not release this pop ingenuity for the world to listen, enjoy, revel while other pop musicians scowl for not being offered this song to perform. And thank god the girls did something right, for once.
Then suddenly BAM! They're making a video for it, there was a little sneak preview (it would be cool to have a Making The Video for this), and a few weeks later it was out on the internet (with a subsequent, proper release on MTV). And I must say, I am thoroughly impressed with the final product. LIKING- the graphic novel look, the slight inspired-by Sin City (both not original ideas, but it's a good attempt nonetheless), the dance sequences (I LOVE high octane choreography- find the live performances of this song on YouTube. Woots!), the alter ego/red light transforming bit (staying true to the song). NOT FAVOURING- the video editing (a bit too jumpy), the comic panels (font is too wrong, colours absolutely wrong), the "bad girl" persona's wigs (now seriously, what is up with that? They look more hooker-ish/housewifey instead of bad asses). Oh, there's also a spelling mistake and improper usage of capital letter in the video. Ehem. But of course overall the good outweighs the bad.
As I mentioned, I'm not that into Danity Kane and have never really followed them and their television series. But I must say I am drawn to Aubrey (the first blonde girl singing in the video). Even if she looks more like Donatella Versace these days and when she's her alter ego she looks more like Brigitte Bardot with drain water coloured hair. Sigh. She looked so much better in the "Show Stopper" video. Mmm.
This is so my theme song of the moment. When the red light comes on I transform...



