Photobucket
s p ry n!
pop culture whore
cunning linguist
showstopper
bohemian boy
narcissism

_____one
_____two
_____three
_____four
_____five
_____six
_____seven
_____eight
_____nine
_____ten
_____eleven
_____twelve
_____thirteen
_____fourteen
_____fifteen

Overall layout coded by yours truly! Woots! Viewable on all browsers.

© 2008-2009 superyan.

Where the wild roses grow.
23 September 2008 @ 17:45 ; 0 Comments

What kind of browser are you?

I wouldn't outright say that I am that technologically advanced. I don't keep up with the latest trends, read up on the latest news, buy the latest tech magazines just to be in the know. However, I'll be glad to say that I am somewhat technologically forward. Now now, I do believe there's a clear distinction between the two. Tech-forward people know the basis of the latest trends, would die to have the latest gadgets, and perhaps even own one or two.


When news got out of a new browser being introduced into the scene, curiousity was piqued, followed by apprehension (of course, of course). Another one? Don't we have enough as it is, already? But then again, competition is always welcome in this world so Google Chrome will most definitely have the other existing browsers be kept on their toes.

I was a little late going into this. As always, I am a little apprehensive about venturing into a new browser. I am so comfortable using Mozilla Firefox (although it's been giving some wee problems lately) that going into a new browser is like taking steps before learning to run. Okay, so the analogy there is a little too extreme, a little wide to be used but in this case, it does seem somewhat appropriate. Maybe not run. Just walk.

So what are the cool things that Google Chrome has to offer? Well, definitely not that wide a berth as compared to Firefox, but they have tweaked a lot of things as such that it has been given a new lease of life. Stylistically, it is definitely an upgrade over its competitors; simple yet sleek. Everything that you need is easily recognizable and accessible, since the developers have done away with all the unnecessary menus. The browser also recognizes all the websites that you frequent, so each time you open the browser, its homepage will display the most visited sites so that you don't have to go through the address bar or bookmarks every single time. Overall, I believe Google Chrome works on less CPU usage compared to the others.

Of the new features that are implemented, I have to say the incognito mode is most interesting and perhaps a new useful feature to be utilized in the coming future. It allows the user to surf websites that are, ehem, not family-friendly. After everything, the browser does not store any visited sites into its browsing history, so you can be sure that others will not stumble upon what you have been up to in front of the computer (yes, naughty thoughts infiltrating everyone right about now...) Other than that, it also allows for individual tabs to be closed should the entire browser is bogged down by certain websites. This means you don't have to close an entire browser just because of one tab! Definitely another step-up from its competitors.

Obviously, anything new has its cons. Despite the fact that its learning curve is not that steep and users of other browsers would have no difficulty adapting to it, Google Chrome has done away with a couple of features (tech users would know it by add-ons) that may hamper the usability of its browser. I, for one, have a slightly disadvantage with tabs, since sometimes I tend to close a tab by accident and Google Chrome does not have the capability of allowing the closed tab to be re-opened. Downloads also have to be clicked on manually (right click and save) instead of the browser automatically recognizing it and downloading right away onto the computer. The browsing history also does not allow individual websites to be removed (everything is deleted at a click), so that can be another hassle if you're not up to using the incognito mode.

Overall, I would say the developers have a bit more to go before Google Chrome can take over the browser competition and emerge as top dog for the users. In the meantime, you can explore it for the sake of discovery. If you like it, you'll keep it. If not, you can always fall back on what you have used previously. Life is about choices, right? And now everyone has to agree on similar views. As for me, I'll alternate between that and Firefox, though for now, it looks like the latter has taken a back seat.

(This post is brought to you via Google Chrome. And no, it's not to influence you. I am just testing out.)